Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lucy is not a fan of daycare.

Granted its only been two days...

We are very fortunate to live in the same town as Goosey's grandparents (on both sides), and we are especially lucky because my dad is retired.  He and my sister watch Lucy during the day, from 7:00-3:00.  Not only is it a HUGE money saver, but it is also a huge comfort to know she is with family.

This transition certainly could have been smoother - traveling the last week of maternity leave was not the brightest idea.  Before yesterday morning, Lucy had only stayed with my parents a handful of times, and only for a few hours at a time.  And on top of that, we really hadn't perfected bottle feeding (I know, I know...I owe you guys a post on introducing the bottle, and I promise its coming).

Auntie Fallon said she was actually starting to get a little worried at one point yesterday, when she couldn't calm Lucy.  Because Lucy is a bit of a nipple snob, she only ate about two ounces between 7 and 3 ( she should have eaten about twelve ounces...).  She spent the majority of her time awake crying - thankfully she slept a lot.  When Lucy gets really, REALLY upset, she coughs from crying so hard....tears stream down...and her eyes get really red.  It is heartbreaking, to say the least.

I basically dropped her off with a bag of different bottles and nipples for them to experiment with; towards the end of the day they discovered that she would tolerate the Medela brand nipples.  This discovery is what made today's experience MUCH better than yesterday; today she ate five ounces - not great, but an improvement.  She still cried a lot - she was fussy almost the whole time she was awake - but she wasn't hysterical. 

We are all praying that she will adjust over time, the sooner the better!  I feel like I am causing her pain, because I left her.  And there is nothing I can do about it until our budget allows for me to stay home.  In the meantime I've applied for the Flex Time schedule at work; once approved I'll be working 7-3:30, instead of 8-4:30.  Its a start, but still not enough. 

And now, I shall leave you with a pic of Goosey taking the bottle like a champ:

YAY Goose!

No comments:

Post a Comment