Tuesday, November 8, 2011

(Guest Blogger: Jaye Fay) I am woman. Hear me roar

Meet Jaye Fay(I always call her by her first and last name.  It's just one of those names, ya know?)  I think you'll like Jaye, because I like Jaye.  We're practically the same person!  We see eye to eye on a lot of parenting techniques and both of our baby girls have red hair.  What more do you need in a friend???  Today's post really hits home for me, and I think it will for you too.  Don't forget to stop by Becoming Jaye Fay to say Hey and tell her how awesome she is!


----


I’ve thought long and hard about what kind of blog post I wanted to send over to Taylor here at Growing Baby Shelton.  When she asked me to write a guest post, I knew exactly what kind of post I needed to write.  But had no idea what it would actually be about.  I wanted a post that spoke to people.  That said something about me, Taylor, our readers – and honestly, all women.  I hope this is it. 

Last month I had the honour of attending the annual Athena Awards, hosted by the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce.  I’ll be honest in telling you that I went for two reasons - #1 My boss told me to go, and #2 Free lunch (and who the heck passes up free food?!)

I’m really happy I attended. (and not just because the lunch was fabulous, although it was pretty freaking awesome)

The Athena Awards honour a few business women who have gone above and beyond in their professional lives.  It was ridiculously powerful to hear the stories of the finalists.  These are women who embody the vision of warrior. 

They shared their stories, and reminded the nearly 1,000 attendees (mostly women) that we are all Athenas. 
Women are a special kind of strong. 

We have the kind of strength that legends are made of.  

We have the ability to grow life – in so many ways.  We give our hearts, our minds, ourselves to better those around us.   We build relationships, making large interconnected webs,  because we know a secret – 2 is better than 1 – and when it comes to strength, there is nothing more powerful than a group of women united.  

Motherhood has taught me this.   It has extended the meaning of selfless in my vocabulary.  It has taught me to learn from, encourage and support the women around me.  It has taught me that raising a child takes more than a couple of parents; it does indeed take a village.  My connections with the women around me have made me a better mother.   And motherhood has made me want to be a better person.  Not just for me, but for my daughter.  For her to have the same amazing opportunities in life that I have had – I must help to secure that future for her.  And the only way to do that is to be an Athena.  

To recognize and harness my strength, passion, and perseverance.  To remember that I am a warrior, even when I don’t think I am.  To be everything I can be - I owe that to her.  And I owe it to me.  

I love my daughter with more brilliance than I ever thought possible.   She has softened my harsh personality, and lit a fire in my soul.  

Maybe I’ve always been this person, but she reminded me. 

I always thought I was a strong girl.

But motherhood has taught me that I am so much more than that.  

I am an Athena.

I can do anything and be anything.  And this is the most important thing I can teach my daughter.  That her strength is only limited by her dreams.   


2 comments:

  1. Then dream big because the world is a better place for having you in it, driving it. As for Ariadne, she (like her mama)was born a warrior; you can see it in her already. Look in her eyes when she wants to stand and is pulling your hands up... you're wise to keep her options open, her opportunity ready because that girl is fierce. Love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job sister! Go Gggrrrrrr-ls! Being a mom is the bestest!

    ReplyDelete