Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The New Birth Plan

My last birth plan was totally useless due to Lucy's breech presentation and the need for a cesarean delivery.  Fortunately, Parker is head down and my doctor has approved a VBAC.  I am excited (maybe a little too excited) for the experience.  That being said, I've been thinking long and hard about my priorities for birth.  Rather than create (another) 10-page birth plan, I'd like to convey a few preferences that are genuinely important to myself and Casey.

---

My delivery is planned as a VBAC.

During labor I'd like to stay hydrated by ice chips or saline lock.

For pain relief I plan to use hypnosis and massage.  Please do not offer epidural anesthesia or narcotic pain medication.

Please delay cord cutting until after it has stopped pulsating.

I'd like to breastfeed as soon as possible. 

I'd like to stay in the hospital as briefly as possible.

---

I don't think it's realistic to expect the hospital staff to consult my birth plan before every.single.procedure.  When the time comes, they will ask for consent, and I will use my voice.  If, for some reason, I cannot find my voice, I will kick Casey, and he will use his voice.  ;-) 

I believe we are in good hands, and I believe we all share one goal: a healthy baby.

I followed this birth plan template to get a better understanding of my options.

No comments:

Post a Comment