Friday, August 10, 2012

38 Weeks

How far along?  38w0d.  Why am I still pregnant???



How big is baby?  Pumpkin.  18.9-20.9 inches and 6.2-9.2 pounds; he's shedding the vernix caseosa (white goo) that's been protecting his skin.

Physical differences from last week?  I weighed 143.0 pounds at my NST today; which is a 1.0 pound gain from last week, and an overall gain of 33.4 pounds.  No new stretch marks and my belly button is out.  Still wearing regular pants and shorts with the belly band, maternity tops, dresses, and skirts.  I hate clothes, everything is uncomfortable.  I had an internal exam on Tuesday and I was a "solid" 2 cm, 50% effaced, and Parker was at station -3.  To be totally honest, I was disappointed.   

How I'm feeling?  Aggravated.  For the number of contractions that I've had during this pregnancy, I should not need to be induced!  More on that below...  My cervix is progressing slower with this pregnancy - even though I'm actually TRYING this time.  And my back hurts!  It's different from the usual sciatica, though; it's more like there's shrapnel in my back.  I'm waking up 4-6 times each night (usually from a painful contraction), so I'm exhausted during the day.  I'm done.  DONE, DONE, DONE.  It's time to make your way towards the exit, Park. 

What's been on my mind?  Being induced.  We're going to schedule the induction at my appointment on Tuesday.  Am freaking out about the possible side effects of epidural anestheia (which I will most likely need, if induced by Pitocin).   

What I'm looking forward to?  Not being pregnant anymore.

Best moment this week?  Tuesday afternoon.  I left work early, napped for four hours, and then ate half of a pineapple.

During my prenatal appointment on Tuesday, Dr. O brought up the possible need for induction again.  She asked if I was opposed, and I said, "No, but I'd prefer to avoid it, if possible.."  To which she replied, "Well, if you're willing to sign a waiver and the NSTs are pristine, I could possibly be talked into letting you go to 40 weeks.  As long as you understand that you're increasing your risk of stillbirth..."  Um, no thank you.  After that pleasant conversation, she informed me that my Group B Strep test came back negative (thank God for small favors, right?) and we went over my birth plan.  She said I would need a saline lock as soon as I get to the hospital, because I'm a VBAC, and then approved the plan.

4 comments:

  1. I think you will do great, induction or not. I think with my induction I would have been able to do it with no pain meds I hadn't had so much back labor. Zach was head down but facing the ceiling cause a TON of pain in my back and since I have back problems already I couldn't handle it. Point is no matter what happens I know you are going to do a great job and in the end all that matters is that you and Parker are healthy & happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was induced with my first went natural. No epidural. Just because you are induced doesn't mean you can't do natural. Just don't have them break your water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck. I can't wait to see pics of the baby! New hair cut? I love it I upgraded to a similar style ... Best wishes I'm sending labor vibes your way. My daughter came out at instructed at 37 weeks so I don't know that so DONE feeling ... But I can imagine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies! You've been so encouraging and given me hope.

    ReplyDelete