Sunday, January 2, 2011

28 weeks

We had our last monthly prenatal visit on Thursday, and from here on out we will be going to the doctor every two weeks.  The belly measured right on track, my blood pressure was where it should be, and the babe's heartbeat was fast and strong as usual.  We're scheduled to have the glucose test on January 14.

Baby is now the size of a:  bag of flour or a Chinese cabbage...  She weighs almost 2 1/2 pounds!  Her lungs are now capable of breathing air; further reducing the need for medical intervention if she were born between now and my due date.  Right now her little body is putting the finishing touches on major organ systems (brain, lungs, and liver), and of course, gaining weight.  Currently her body fat is about 2 to 3 percent.  She is also practicing batting her eye lashes, now that her big beautiful eyes have opened, and sucking and swallowing motions have been nearly perfected!


How I'm feeling:  well the baby has discovered my sciatic nerve.  The sciatic nerve is a long nerve that runs from the lower back to the back of the legs and feet.  I'm not saying I have full blown Sciatica, but the babe has stepped on this nerve a few times (to say the least) and my knees completely buckle every time.  Its not that bad; I don't feel like I've had to deal with very many symptoms and the symptoms I have experienced are not complaint worthy.  I do not understand how some women can say they hate being pregnant.  I am loving every minute of this time in my life, and we can't wait for babe #2 to come along!

Physical differences from last week:  Still bulbous, still low, still 18 pounds heavier.... Here is my weekly pic:




What's been on my mind:  breech presentation.  I asked the nurse (in my doctor's absence) what would be done if the babe were still in breech position closer to my due date, and she said not to worry about the baby's position until after 36 weeks; up until 36 weeks, there is enough room for the baby to turn.  There is a procedure called External Cephalic Version where the doctor places their hands on the belly and attempts to move the baby clockwise, so that the head is down.  There is only a 60 percent success rate, because many babies move back to breech position after the procedure.  There is also a risk of detaching the placenta, which would result in an emergency c-section.  The nurse said that Doctor O has done the procedure before, and that she would examine every option to avoid a c-section delivery.  I guess that's a little reassuring....

What I'm looking forward to: registering!  I think we're going to bite the bullet tomorrow, as we both have the day off.  And our growth ultrasound!  It hasn't been scheduled yet, but its nice to know we have another opportunity to see the babe before D-Day. 

Random thoughts:  Supposedly Casey should be able to put his ear to my belly and hear the baby's heartbeat (sans stethoscope)... I shall report back as to whether this actually works.  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment