Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Lesson Learned

This isn't a business blog, but I have to briefly talk about the ridiculousness that is owning a bakery during the holidays...

The bakery turned out to be a huge undertaking.  Whodathunkit??  (Someone, please, remind me never to start a business during the holiday rush again.)  We made well over 200 dozen cookies between Thanksgiving and New Years.  There was the farmers market every week, custom orders, corporate orders, and even two special events.

I never expected such a high demand.  It was encouraging, flattering, and scary all at the same time.  I was taking care of the kids all day long and baking all night long-- most nights (mornings?), I didn't go to bed until 2 am.  My life was literally kids and cookies for one month.  I didn't shower, sleep, or eat nearly as often as I should have; I didn't keep in touch with friends; and I didn't get to do every single thing on my Christmas bucket list (namely Zoolights and the Russo Family Baking Marathon).

The holidays totally kicked my ass.  I learned a lot, though, and, next year, I expect to be the one doing the ass-kicking.  And you, readers, can expect to be hearing from me a little more often now.

1 comment:

  1. Haven't visited in a while, but I love that you started your own business, awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete