Thursday, July 21, 2011

How 'bout that hemp?

There comes a time in every cloth diapering parent's life when they realize their kid has become a "super soaker".  For us, that realization hit on Lucy's 4 month birthday.

She looks innocent, but she can fill a diaper quicker than you can yell, Not it!

There are so many diaper systems out there. We've barely scratched the surface after four months in cloth.  Sometimes I feel like I know what I'm doing, but then sometimes I don't.  Like when I go here

For the past week or so, I've noticed that Lulu has been waking up with wet pajamas.  I'm not talking full blown leaks, just some dampness around the leg gussets.  So I consulted the lovely Cloth Diaper Girls over at The Bump.  Those Bumpies are super helpful.  Just sayin'!  They told me all about hemp inserts and double stuffing for nighttime.

Photo:  Kelly's Closet
Hemp inserts are a magical thing, you see.  Hemp inserts are the most absorbent of all the inserts in the land.  From what I've gathered, hemp can hold a lot of liquid, microfiber cannot.  Microfiber is great for soaking up the moisture and keeping the skin dry, but it is the least absorbent insert available.  So...the resolve...double stuffing a pocket diaper with a microfiber insert and a hemp insert - microfiber on top to keep the skin dry and free of any diaper rash. 

I never even thought to double stuff Lulu's nighttime diapers!  I guess because its never been a problem up until recently...  The bigger the bambino the greater the output.  Suddenly those oh-so-easy to use all in one diapers aren't cutting it at bedtime...enter Fuzzibunz pocket diapers.  I've never been one to hide my disdain for stuffing pockets, but you gotta do what you gotta do - to avoid crazy leaks.  We ordered a couple of these and a couple of these, and I'm on the prowl for some of these!  In the meantime, we're double stuffing with two microfiber inserts.  I shall report back with feedback soonish, my dears.

What about you mommas?  What are your nighttime solutions?  Have you tried hemp inserts?

*Edit to add - Auntie Fallon was admitted to the hospital very early this morning, please pray for her.

3 comments:

  1. I have some hemp, but haven't really used it much. I think I am going to have to change that soon and start using them. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to see what I can do about making some of the ones you should me the other day. Sadly my sewing machine has pooped out on me once again so it might take awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the gdiapers cloth inserts are hemp/microfleece - love it! so absorbent!

    ReplyDelete