Thursday, May 24, 2012

Going Home!

It's official, I'm going to be discharged from Antepartum this morning!!!  The on-call doctor visited me this morning at 5:30 and gave the order. 

Here's a recap from the last time I posted...

The plan was to be discharged first thing Tuesday morning, but I woke up extremely sick - the typical symptoms of a stomach bug in full swing.  I think I was sick 9 times.  No one was able to reach my doctor, because she had had that early morning delivery (remember she visited me at 2:00 am?) and then a full day of office visits.  We had no plan - no diagnosis, no antibiotics, I still thought there was a chance I'd be discharged.   My nurse collected a sample for labs and continued giving Zofran and Immodium in the mean time; eventually my clear liquid diet was revoked and I wasn't allowed to eat or drink at all.  The on-call doctor finally made her rounds at 6:00 pm; she ordered two more labs, a blanket antibiotic, and the B.R.A.T. diet. 

Wednesday morning started very similarly to the last:  sick, sick, sick.  The on-call doctor came by around 10:30 am, and hoped I could be discharged that afternoon assuming the antibiotic would get the stomach bug under control.  And it did.  I haven't been sick since.  Unfortunately, my Potassium levels crashed again, I developed a low-grade fever, and I started having contractions both times on the monitor; and so I added another night to my stay.  Also, like to add that I spent all of Wednesday laying flat and on my left side to prevent contractions.  That got old real quick, let me tell ya.  I had 6 more bags of Potassium and two more blood draws; they actually ran out of veins to draw from and had to begin re-poking.  That was excrutiating.  My Potassium levels will continue to be monitored  for the duration of this pregnancy.

It's been a very long, surreal week.  I haven't seen Lucy since Monday afternoon, and I'm having withdrawals.  Also haven't showered since Monday...(I intended to shower yesterday, but the mandatory bedrest thwarted that plan.)  The lab results still aren't back, so there is no formal diagnosis; all I know is today is the first day I don't feel nauseous and I'm happy.  I've never been this sick in my adult life; in fact, I don't think I've been sick this long in my entire life.  I never expected to be admitted or stay nearly as long as I did, and I sure as heck didn't expect to miss Auntie Fallon's high school graduation.  

(Non-blurry picture to come, I promise!)
 

3 comments:

  1. Yippeeee for going home! I bet you can't wait to get back to Lucy Goose!

    So happy you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the good news keeps coming! Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are doing better now and that you got to spend some time with Lucy!

    ReplyDelete