Sunday, May 20, 2012

26 Weeks and an "OB Problem"

How far along?  26w1d

How big is baby?  Head of lettuce!  He is 13.6-14.8 inches long and weighs 1.5-2.5 pounds; his eyes are forming and will open soon, eyelashes have grown, his immune system is developing, and he's taking practice breaths (of amniotic fluid). 

Physical differences from last week?  I've lost almost 6 pounds in the last 3 days...  I weighed 127.8 on Wednesday, and it's been dropping due to a stomach bug that Lucy and I have been sharing since Thursday night; this morning I was 122.4.  I'm pretty dehydrated, all traces of swelling are gone, and my bump even seems smaller.  Not ideal for tomorrow's growth ultrasound...


How I'm feeling?  (Pre-bug) I was experiencing nightly, mild swelling in my hands and feet, lower back pain, and heartburn - my relationship with buffalo chicken is officially over until August.  The big craving this week was for turkey burgers from the little cafe by my office.  (Post-bug) I am nauseous, achy, weak, and in the bathroom every 15 minutes.  The only time I'm not completely miserable is when I'm sleeping.  I have no appetite; I'm extremely sensitive to all smells; and I can't walk across the house or even hold Lucy. 

What's been on my mind?  (Pre-bug) accomplished a few things on my pregnancy checklist: researched circumcision, made my birth plan, pre-registered with the hospital, and I think we've even decided on a name for Babe! 

What I'm looking forward to?  Seeing Baby Boy on the big screen tomorrow, hopefully hearing some good news about his growth, and being healthy again.

Best moment this week?  Hugged Casey and Babe kicked him in the leg. 

Onto my "OB Problem"...  That's the kind of appointment I had Thursday afternoon.  My c-section incision has been causing all sorts of problems from the beginning of this pregnancy.  It previously only hurt when I went from sitting to standing, or really overexerted myself, but now it's a constant source of pain.  It's also extremely swollen, to the point of being lopsided.  I tried researching online to see if the pain and swelling were typical of subsequent pregnancies, but couldn't find any information; just the opposite, most women experience total numbness in the surrounding area.  I reluctantly called my doctor Thursday morning, and she had me come in the same day.  She ruled out infection, and thinks the problem is a swollen ligament or hernia.  She recommended icing it and a maternity support belt.  We'll monitor the swelling for the next month, and if there's no improvement, I'll be put in contact with a surgeon to repair the hernia.

No comments:

Post a Comment