Monday, April 9, 2012

20 Weeks

How far along?  20w2d and officially half-baked.

How big is baby?  Cantaloupe!  Dude, that just seems huge...  The average fetus is approximately 6.5 inches long and 10.2 ounces; he's developing taste buds and gulping down a whole lotta amniotic fluid. 

Physical differences from last week?  I weighed 118 pounds at the doctor's office on Thursday; which is a 0.4 pound gain from two weeks ago, and an overall gain of 9 pounds.  No new stretch marks and the belly button is in.  Still wearing regular pants and shorts with the belly band, maternity shirts, maternity skirts and maxi dresses (LOVE).



How I'm feeling?  Shaving my legs is officially a challenge.  Bah!  Sleep has been great, with reasonable bedtimes and no trips to the bathroom.  We walked 3 or 4 nights this week, and I followed my diet for the most part, with the exception of Easter brunch.  I craved pretzels and those orange circus peanuts, and ate both.  BH contractions are raging in the evenings (after chasing Lucy around), but, overall, I feel great, and I'm thankful!

What's been on my mind?  Dr. O offered to prescribe me an anti-depressant at my visit on Thursday...  I said no, of course, but I'm embarrassed that she thinks I need it.  She said that she only prescribes in "extreme cases".  I'm doing everything I can to keep my baby from feeling my depression and stress (therapy, walking, yoga, deep breathing, prayer and meditation), but it might not be enough.          

What I'm looking forward to?  Having a finished nursery, a project that I haven't even started.

Best moment this week?  Seeing Baby Boy at the growth ultrasound and ECHO and hearing that his results were perfectly normal and healthy.

5 comments:

  1. You are absolutely radiant my dear- and while I suck at baking, I'd gladly bring you PB Lemon Zester cookies for making it to your "half baked" point!

    When do we get to start said nursery?! I'm totally stoked to see your vision turn reality!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank ya, dear! Let's paint next weekend!!

      Delete
  2. What was your Doctor prescribing you? I was prescribed Zoloft for my PPD. I only took a few pills before finding a more natural alternative. I believe that you can't have a happy baby without a happy mommy first, you have to take care of yourself before caring for someone else.

    There's nothing wrong with taking anti-depressants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't say what she would prescribe, because I was pretty quick to turn her down. I'm not comfortable taking medication while pregnant or breastfeeding (hence the excrutiating c-section recovery). I feel happy most of the time, and I think my children do as well. I would be VERY interested to hear your naturopathic alternatives. :-)

      Delete
    2. Matthew is very sensitive to what I eat and supplements I take. I thoroughly research what I choose to eat and take because of that. My milk production was never affected, I took (and still take some) these supplements:

      Primrose Oil - aids in the transmission of nerve impulses; needed for normal brain function.

      Vitamin B6 - needed for normal brain function. May help lift depression.

      Vitamin B5 - the most potent anti-stress vitamin.

      Vitamin B12 with Folic Acid - found to be deficient in people with depression.

      Calcium and Magnesium - has a calming effect. Needed for the nervous system.

      Vitamin C with bioflavonoids - aids in preventing depression.

      For herbs: ginger and ginkgo biloba are helpful.

      Delete