Monday, August 16, 2010

We're pregnant!!!



Casey and I have known about our little bundle of joy for just over two weeks now, and we are still in shock.  Even though this wasn't a planned pregnancy, we still feel very excited and blessed.

We haven't told the world yet, only our family and closest friends.   I hope this blog will help to keep our out-of-state family feeling connected, I would love nothing more than to be back home sharing this experience with you all.

The story of us finding out is, well, not my proudest moment...

I woke up Saturday morning, and I just had this inexplicable feeling.  I had had a  "Girls Night Out" the night before, and pregnancy was a hot topic of discussion; many friends are trying to get pregnant, or are currently pregnant, or already have children.  I have no idea if this is what spurred my "feeling" or if its just completely ironic.  Regardless, I took a test and at first I misread the result.  It was one of those stupid, cheapy tests with the horizontal lines (not the digital kind or the kind with positive/negative signs).  I just stared at this test puzzled, and when I finally realized two horizontal lines means pregnant, I couldn't breathe.

I stayed in the bathroom for a good ten minutes.  About a million thoughts went through my mind, I had a mini panic attack, and I even cried a little.  When I finally composed myself, I went into the kitchen and hugged Casey.  But I didn't let go, so we just sort of stood there hugging for awhile, and he asked, "Whats wrong, honey?" over and over again.  I didn't reply, but I started tearing up, which I'm sure he felt.  So he finally whispered, "Are you pregnant?" and that's when the sobbing started.


Casey didn't say much, he mostly tried to calm me while I blubbered about all the plans we had for our lives.  He said a few cute things though, "Its not like we didn't want a baby, you just sort of sped up our timing."

But, at this point, we agreed the test couldn't possibly be right.  It was an old test, it was probably expired, and it just couldn't be accurate.  I googled the chances of having a false positive, and there is a three percent chance of that happening, so we were no longer confident in that possibility...  I re-tested and re-tested, and we finally decided we had to tell our parents.  Much to our surprise, they were all very excited.  Having our parent's blessing is what really enabled me to finally be excited for this life changing experience.

We guestimate that our little baby is due April 1, 2011, which would mean I am approximately 7-8 weeks along.  I've visited our family doctor for bloodwork to confirm the pregnancy, but I have not had my first prenatal visit.  I'm looking forward to that in the next couple of weeks.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited you're sharing this with us and am looking forward to seeing your posts. I shared 'coaching' responsibilities with my best friend Rosie's husband, Tony when their first son Dusty was born. Tony often traveled and I was to be a backup. As it turned out, Jay and I were over at their house for dinner when her water broke, so off we all four went to the hospital. Jay played expectant father in the waiting room while Tony and I helped Rosie through her breathing exercises. Can you believe they didn't have any kind of a couch? At one point, Jay put two chairs together so he could catch a little cat nap. I wish I had a picture of that.

    Many many, many hours later we were all blessed with a beautiful baby boy, Dustin. It was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

    ReplyDelete